In addition to the woodland garden setting that the cottages enjoy, Sycamore Cottage has its own small garden.
Features of the Cottage Gardens and Surrounding Countryside
- All year round colour and form
- Trees and shrubs
- Mixture of evergreen and deciduous forms
- Walk straight out into the surrounding countryside
- Pretty hamlet of Stanton-by-Bridge
- Walk to the bus stop on the Derby to Melbourne/Ticknall route
- Village overlooks the River and the famous Swarkestone Causeway
There are many places of interest to visit locally such as Calke Abbey, Melbourne Hall and Gardens, and Staunton Harold.
There are also some wonderful houses to visit within a 20 mile radius of Stanton-by-Bridge, such as Hardwick Hall, Sudbury Hall, Donington-le-Heath Manor House, and Kedleston Hall.
At Donington Park there is the Race Track , Motor Museum & Exhibition Centre.
There are many miles of excellent walking within a short distance of our holiday cottages. Melbourne, our nearest town, has lots to offer including a short but pretty walk around the lake and through woodland at Melbourne Hall.
Calke Abbey offers a wide choice of routes within it’s 750 acres. See the new born lambs in spring and take a walk past the deer park, before calling at the café for morning coffee, lunch or afternoon tea. The Hall, gardens and church are all well worth a visit.