Sycamore Cottage, Woodland Hills Court is at Stanton-by-Bridge.
Stanton-by Bridge is situated in the heart of England, eight miles south of Derby. At the centre of everything, yet quiet and peaceful. The village stands on rising ground overlooking the flood plain of the River Trent where it is crossed by the historic Stanton Causeway and Swarkestone Bridge.
Woodland Hills Court is at the centre of this small rural community. We are three miles from Donington Park motor racing and East Midlands Airport is 4 miles away.
There is a bus stop 100 yards from the holiday cottages’ entrance.
The delightful Georgian town of Melbourne, the jewel of South Derbyshire and birthplace of Thomas Cook the travel pioneer, is less than two miles to the south. In Melbourne you will find a selection of shops and pubs – and of course Melbourne Hall with it’s lake and gardens.
It was Swarkestone Bridge where on 5 December 1745 Bonnie Prince Charlie abandoned his march on London and turned back to Scotland.
Just 5 miles upstream from Swarkestone is Repton, capital of the ancient kingdom of Mercia and site of the mausoleum of the Mercian Kings, located under the 10th Century parish church of St. Wystans.
The countryside is spectacular; great walking territory and for those who enjoy pony riding, there are stables nearby.
The hamlet of Stanton-by-Bridge has long been a farming community, although half of the original farms have now converted many of their sheds and barns into dwellings.
Stanton is a common place name meaning ‘Stony Town’ and to distinguish this village from others of the same name, over the centuries it has been known as Stanton Juxta Pontem, Stanton at Swarston Bridge, and now Stanton-by-Bridge. The suffix is fully justified as the whole of the causeway over the meadows south of the river lies in Stanton parish. The boundary with Swarkestone is mid-stream at the River Bridge.
In The Domesday Book of 1086, records show eight families living here working the land, needing two ploughs, forty acres of meadow and a small water mill. By the 1600’s the population had increased to thirty households. In the last fifty years the numbers have risen further, with householders working away from the village.